The mythical Acropolis
Well, believe me when I say that a visit to Acropolis could be an unforgettable and exciting experience for the whole family! Once you climb up that hill, take a moment to admire the breathtaking view of the city; then, you shall start exploring! The monuments of Acropolis and the hill itself have many stories to tell of a very unique and complex past that stretches across millennia. They also keep untold tales secret that seems to take place on a fantasy world - the mythical one! Through a Acropolis mythological tour, our expert guide will show you the way into a magical world of adventure, courageous heroes, mighty Gods, epic love stories and strange creatures, all related to the very hill you’re standing on! Let your imagination enter the realms of fantasy and go through the beliefs of ancient Greeks; everyone will be amazed!
The secrets of the Acropolis
Nonetheless, as we know, each myth hides a truth. So, there are definitely many equally interesting true stories waiting to be discovered and shared. Knowing about our past helps us understand better the present and human nature. Let history of Athens be unraveled to you through easy to comprehend stories in a fun-learning experience! You can dig much deeper than the average visitor in the hidden stories of the Acropolis with a revealing Secret Acropolis tour. Be thrilled by the stories of significant personalities that have influenced the story of the whole world and used to stroll in the very same spot thousands of years ago! Go back in time with spicy fun-facts and get one step closer to understand the life of people who lived and acted here through the centuries!
The 3D ancient Acropolis
You could also opt for a 3D Acropolis tour with your children. You and your family will have the chance to take a glance of the ancient glory of the site! Using a provided iPad, you’ll get to see the Acropolis monuments exactly as they were during the 5th century BC: imposing and enchanting! You can see their interior as it used to be and watch the statues come to life on their original vivid colors! Let your walk to the Acropolis become a super-exciting time-travel experience! Kids will love it!
Have fun at the Acropolis Museum
Since you visit the sacred hill, the Acropolis Museum is the next must-stop in your tour, as it hosts every artifact found on the hill and on the surrounding slopes. Children tend to be bored during a museum visit but you will come to see that the Acropolis Museum is far from a boring site. As kids explore the museum, they will come to find many surprises; the amazing glass floors through which they can take a look at the excavation area below their feet; the LEGO model of Acropolis; Gandalf the wizard approaching on his carriage, Alexander the Great close to a souvlaki van parked outside an ancient temple, and the most loved Athenian hero, Theseus, fighting the terrifying beast, Minotaur! Just make sure you are equipped with special backpacks for families that include family trails, games and activities! You can either borrow them free of charge from the museum or purchase it from the museum shop.
Just for a day in Athens?
Finally, if you are visiting Athens for just a few days, but you want to have a full experience of the city, go for a Best of Athens in a day tour. In this ideal-for-families tour, you’ll get to see all the highlights of the city (including Acropolis) in just one day! The constant change of scenery combined with fascinating information about the city’s past and present will keep you interested and amazed the whole time.
Useful tips and things to bear in mind for families:
1. As it can get extremely hot - especially during summer or midday - you should be equipped with hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
2. It is better to carry water and snacks with you just to be on the safe side. For a most empowered stroll, you can arrange a “Greek breakfast and Acropolis tour”, and start your visit to the archaeological site with an incredible and nutritious Greek food experience.
3. Don’t neglect to be equipped with comfortable shoes for the whole family! Visiting the Acropolis includes some hiking, as you need to ascend the hill. Furthermore, the area of the actual site and the surrounding slopes are quite rocky and uneven.
4. For the same reason, the archaeological area is not stroller-friendly, so it would be easier for you to use another way to carry the baby, such as a baby sling. However, concerning the museum, you could find available baby strollers free of charge.
5. Be informed about the operating hours and the ticket prices (some people are entitled to a discount or the entrance is free on specific dates). For the Acropolis archaeological site visit the ministry site by clicking here and for the museum visit the official museum’s site on this link.
6. Concerning the access to these sites, it is easier to use the nearby metro station “Acropolis”.
7. The museum and the Acropolis site offer toilet facilities. You can also find baby changing rooms in the Acropolis Museum.
8. It is recommended to generally pack lightly and not to carry many things. During your entrance to the museum there is a baggage control system and a cloakroom to deposit your packages. In the archaeological site you are allowed to enter with small handbags and backpacks.
9. Finally, don’t forget your camera to capture all the amazing things you’ll see and the precious moments of your family trip!
Acropolis of Athens awaits you!