Uncover the complex links between the Ottoman Empire and the city of Athens on this fascinating walking tour around the Greek capital. A Journey from Monastiraki Square to the Plaka neighborhood, visiting important sites as you learn historical anecdotes from your expert guide.
What you can expect
Greek history is inextricably linked with that of the Ottoman Empire. In ancient times Greeks and Persians competed for territory, wealth and glory. The competition between them has given world history legendary battles such as the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Salamis, while the men who pioneered in these epic wars have become symbols of bravery and discernment -Themistocles, Miltiades, Leonidas.
Uncover the complex links between the Ottoman Empire and the city of Athens on this fascinating walking tour around the Greek capital. A Journey from Monastiraki Square to the Plaka neighborhood, visiting important sites as you learn historical anecdotes from your expert guide. Begin your tour by meeting your guide at Monastiraki Square, centrally located within a bustling neighborhood featuring clothing boutiques, souvenir shops, and specialty stores. Listen to stories about the powerful Ottoman Empire and find out what life was like for Greeks from the 15th to early 19th century when they were under the empire's control.
This walking tour allows you to stop at a variety of locations that have borne witness to the centuries of Ottoman rule like the Gate of Madrasa, home of a former Islamic school, and the Horologion of Kyrrhestos, also known as the Tower of the Winds. As you visit mosques, churches, and houses dating back to the years of the Ottoman Empire, you realize that this city has more to offer than just Classical Greek antiquities.
Is it possible for Athens, the city that is identified with the values of classical antiquity, to still bear the living remnants of the Ottoman rule? Discover this and much more, on a walk that will tell you that history remains and is still alive as long as you know where to look for it...
- Discover the living remnants of the Ottoman rule in Athens as well as the impact it had on Modern Athenian history & life.
- An exceptional archaeologist who will help you see “under the surface” & realize that the history of the city is not only characterised by classical antiquity.
- A Greek coffee in a secret place downtown where you will have the chance to discuss all the matters of local life in Athens, both present & past.
- A unique experience which aims to show you that Athens is a timeless city which carries impressive mementos of the past, as long as you know how to discover them.
- Perfect for all ages and skill level-Small group ensures personal service
- Available daily as a private tour - please send us an inquiry.